Saturday, October 4, 2008

The "Retard" - Part 2

The school teacher made a farewell speech to the graduating class. At that point, the boy walked sadly down the school hall, for he had just flunk English and Math. He was thinking of dropping out of summer school, because, being labelled educable mentally retarded, it's very seldom anyone of that category completed school.

Just as he walked past the assembly hall, the boy heard the teacher say to the graduating class, "... if just one of you will believe, the world will be a better place, just because you came this way."

The class gave him a standing ovation, and a realization set into the boy.

Later, the teacher headed to his car in the parking lot, and the boy ran up from behind him.

"Mr Washington?" he called.

Mr Washington, the teacher, turned around and said, "Yes?"

"Do you remember me, Mr Washington? I'm Leslie. My brother is Wesley. We're twins - Leslie and Wesley. My momma works in the school canteen."

Mr Washington replied, "N... no, I don't remember you."

"You said to me," Leslie continued, "'Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.' Do you remember me now, Sir? I was waiting on McArthur."

Mr Washington thought for a moment and replied, "Y-yes. You're one of the Brown twins."

"The speech you gave in the hall," Leslie said, "Was that speech for me, Mr Washington?"

Mr Washington was confused, "That speech was for the senior. You are a junior, Mr Brown."

"But it sounded like you were talking to me," Leslie shook, "Were you talking to me, Mr Washington?"

"I was talking to everybody, Mr Brown."

"Do you think I could make my momma proud, Mr Washington?" Leslie asked eagerly.

"It's possible, Mr Brown."

"But... but what about the fact that I don't have good grades, and I'm not as fast as everybody?"

"It just means you have to work harder, Mr Brown," and Mr Washington turned around to walk away.

"Mr Washington!" Leslie called out.

The young teacher turned around, "What do you want now?"

"Uh... I... uh..." Leslie shifted from side to side, face starting to glow with a look of determination and eagerness, "I'm the one, Mr Washington. Remember my name. I'm Mrs Mammie Brown's baby boy. I'm the one. Someday, you're going to hear about me."

Today, Mr Les Brown is a reknown motivational speaker. Before that, he was in politics and also had a career in radio deejaying. Les Brown now owns a multi-million dollar business in America.

What happened before that was that Mr Washington indeed saw Les Brown on the news on a legislature that he had proposed, and he called Les Brown and they started catching up.

"So you're the one, aren't you?" Mr Washington said, "But you were so crazy."

Les Brown replied to his beloved mentor, "Yes, I'm crazy, but I'm rich now!"


It all begins with the belief that we can get there to the goals that we want. The how, we'll figure that along the way.

No comments: