Monday, December 29, 2008

Rich Dad Revisited

For Christmas, I got Rich Dad, Poor Dad from my buddy at work. She thought I never read the book before... how could she...?

But it was really timely. Not too long ago, I told myself to revisit the book again. I was halfway through another great book called The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, and wanted to complete that first. After I was done with that, I ordered a copy for my buddy for her Christmas gift because I thought the contents of the book was so crucial to financial and life success. In other words, I gave her what I wanted to give, and I got what I wanted to receive.

(Marge, if you're reading this blog, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.)

I'd like to share about one paragraph from Rich Dad.

In the last chapter, I offer ten steps that I followed on the road to my financial freedom. But always remember to have fun. This is only a game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn. But have fun. Most people never win because they're more afraid of losing. That is why I found school so silly. In school we learn that mistakes are bad, and we are punished for making them. Yet, if you look at the way humans are designed to learn, we learn by making mistakes. We learn to walk by falling down. If we never fell down, we would never walk. The same is true for learning to ride a bike. I still have scars on my knees, but today I can ride a bike without thinking. The same is true for getting rich. Unfortunately the main reason most people are not rich is because they are terrified of losing. Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success.

-- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T Kiyosaki
Well it's not just about buying stocks, unit trusts, real estate, setting up a business, or the likes. It's just the mindset of wealth. It's not about how much money you have today that determines your wealth, neither is it about how much you will get tomorrow. I've come to learn and accept that wealth is a mindset. The amount of money is usually just the by-product of the mind that is developed.

Do I have a lot of money? No, not yet. Am I still working like a cow to pay my bills? Do I still have loans? Do I still have debt? For the last three questions asked, my answer is -- you bet! These were mistakes made from the past, which my family and I still pay the price today. But failure is really not about how many times or how bad your fall is, but how long you stay down.

I wish you a great 2009 coming up soon. Opportunities abound in times of trouble.


PS: I've found a relatively cheaper way in buying books. If you intend to buy good books, drop me a mail to find out how.

No comments: